Some basic things you need to know before you pick up your luggage and hop in a flight to this 1000 year old city:
1. Visa -- You can arrange visa online so you do not need to present at Vietnam embassy in your country. Most of tourists choose this way because it is convenient but you run the risk of waiting up to 90 minutes in Hanoi airport while the visa officers decide whose turn it is to do some work Just prepare to wait in lines when you arrive airport then it is totally fine. Visa on arrival are not applied at border gates when you reach country by road or rivers.
2. Flights and transportation – Hanoi is conveniently connected by international and domestic flights, or by cruise at Cambodia border gate and by roads smoothly across neighbor countries. Just consult your local travel or tickets agents and you can have best solution or even non stop flight to Hanoi. Some useful and cheap flights can be found:
Air Asia: https://www.airasia.com
Cathay Pacific: https://www.cathaypacific.com
Dragon Air: https://www.cathaypacific.com
Hong Kong Airlines: https://www.hkairlines.com
Vietnam Airlines: https://www.vietnamairlines.com
4. Taxis -- Hanoi cabs are cheap and pretty decent. A ride into town from Noi Bai airport costs around VND 350,000 (US$17). Your hotel may also arrange a pick-up and drop-off service from and to the airport. Most reliable cab companies are Hanoi Taxi (+84 (0)4 3853 5353), Taxi CP (+84 (0)4 3826 2626) and Mai Linh Taxi (+84 (0)4 3861 6161).
5. Shuttle buses -- Are cheaper: VND 40,000 (US$2) from the airport to the Old Quarter. They can easily find them when you get out of airport. They are painted out side with brand names such as Vietnam Airlines or JetStar and Vietjet Air. You just cannot miss them!
6. Buses -- Are cheaper still, VND 5,000 (US$0.25) from the airport to the Old Quarter, but they won’t take your baggage unless you offer a small “luggage fee.” In town a ride costs a standard fare of VND 3,000. Better alternatives are some more luxury buses at 3 USD are now available which conveniently connect airport and Hoan Kiem Lake (Heart of Hanoi) and there are space to put your big luggage.
There are many easy way to find yourself finally be safe in a hotel in Hanoi so just simply take action now.